How to Promote Your Blog Posts
We live in a world that is inundated with content—it's everywhere! Did you know that over 59.3 million new blog posts are published each month just on WordPress? And that's not even taking into consideration other blogging platforms like Medium, Tumblr, Blogger, and many others. That's a lot of noise that is produced on a daily basis. This is exactly why it's important to learn how to promote your blog post effectively. In order to cut through all the clutter and gain exposure to your great blog content, time, and/or resources must be invested into content amplification.
What is content amplification?
Content amplification is proactively promoting content to a targeted audience through various organic and paid marketing channels. It's essentially the 'marketing' half of 'content marketing.'
5 essential things to double check before promoting your blog post:
- Relevant content: Be sure that your content is relevant to the audience you are planning on promoting your post to, otherwise you will waste a lot of time and money amplifying content that won't generate the results you want
- Correct formatting: Make sure your content is formatted in a way that is easy to read. Do this by inserting headlines to break up different parts of your blog post. Also, double check of all of your external links and make sure they are set up to open in a new browser tab. You don't want to generate traffic to your blog post and send visitors directly to someone else's website. Both of these tactics should drastically increase the time people spend on your site and decrease your bounce rate.
- Optimized for search: It's important to make sure that you have proper meta titles and descriptions associated with each blog post. Make sure the title of your blog post is captivating and also contains a keyword phrase that you are optimizing for. (Easier said than done).
- Optimized for social sharing: If your content is quality and relevant to the audience you are targeting, readers will share your post to their social networks. It's important that your blog has an image and link description that is designed with social sharing in mind. Optimizing the copy and image for social sharing will help to maximize the exposure from people who share your content.
- Effective call-to-action: At the end of the blog post that you are promoting, you should have a strong call-to-action that is aligned with the content of your post. If your blog post is about Search Engine Optimization (SEO), an effective call-to-action would be a free video training that dives deeper into the tactics outlined in the blog post. At the very least, include a call-to-action to subscribe so that people who like your content can opt-in to get more content from your in the future. This gives you the ability to educate your contacts over time and nurture prospects into customers.
How to promote your blog posts
1. Social Media
Organic social media consists of posting to your personal networks, posting in groups, and posting on your business pages. One mistake many small business owners make is trying to automate posting of their blog content, e.g., when a blog post is published, it automatically posts to your social pages. This is not a good practice. Social media is all about authentic conversations and co-creating value. Here are some tips on how you can promote your blog post on social to get better results.
Email is a great way to get a new blog post out to the world quickly. There are two primary ways to promote your blog post through email.
Did you quote someone in your blog post? Did you link to someone's website? Be sure to reach out to them and let them know. Chances are they will share your post with their audience, and you will generate more traffic.
Leverage your email list
Make sure you have more than one opportunity for visitors to subscribe for email updates. If you aren't currently building a list of emails, you are missing a big opportunity to collect information and stay in touch with prospects and customers. Here are a few ways you can use your email list to get more exposure to your blog post.
3. Diversify delivery of content and link back
This is a very simple way to maximize the exposure and consumption of your content. Different people prefer consuming content in different ways. Some people are more visual or more auditory than others, and they prefer to listen to a podcast or a video blog. This is also a great way to differentiate yourself from your competition and gain access untapped audiences while linking back to your resources.
Turn your "7 Steps to Getting More 'X', Faster!" post into a 10-slide PowerPoint presentation and upload it to SlideShare. Start with a cover slide, one slide for each of the seven steps, a page with a call to action and a link back to your blog post, and an "about" page for your company, product, or service with a link to more information. Maybe your PowerPoint or design skills aren't the best. This is something that you can easily outsource to a professional graphic designer on sites like ODesk, Fiverr or Freelancer.com without breaking the bank.
Turn your blog post into a video blog post. Shoot a high-value video and upload it to YouTube and be sure to optimize your video with SEO keywords to generate maximum organic traffic. Place a link to the written blog post in the description of the video to make it easy for people to find. Once your video is uploaded, you can embed it within your original blog post and share it on your social channels.
Do you have a high-performing blog post? Have you ever thought about printing it out and mailing it to prospects or a specific segment of your customer base? Although it's old-school, it's still a very effective way to get a message in front of people. Some of the most famous internet marketers in the world also use direct mail campaigns to drive traffic to their website. Mail out a piece of content and provide a compelling reason for the reader to take the extra step to visit your website. Dan Kennedy is one of the legends of direct response marketing. Check out Dan's blog here. His YouTube Channel has some good information, too.
4. Join a blogger community like Triberr
Triberr is an incredible resource and community that was designed specifically to amplify content to targeted groups of people, called 'tribes.' Register for an account, add your blog, find a tribe, and begin sharing your blog posts.
As you can tell, there are a lot of different ways that you can promote your blog posts to generate traffic and more results. At the end of the day, content promotion is all about taking content that was written for a specific audience and getting that content in front of that audience. Without proper promotion, even the most valuable, high-quality pieces of content you are producing won't be seen.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Fresh small business insights and ideas delivered weekly to your inbox, gratis.